giraffe

Friday, March 4, 2011

Giving In...Not Up

Every year about this time I start contemplating what I should “give up” for Lent. What small sacrifice I can make as a symbol of thanks for the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus. He gave His life to make us perfect. I NEVER think of myself as perfect. Instead I think of all the improvements I should make or the vices I resort to in times of need. I forget all too easily why God sacrificed his Son, but thankfully a message in my inbox and a series of events reminded me of this.
“With one sacrifice he made perfect forever those who are being made holy” Hebrews 10:14
The devotion went on to state that God completes us. We all have areas in our lives that we don't like, but this doesn't make us bad. I have to let God fix me...it is impossible to do so on my own. This message was preceded by an amazing sermon by our Pastor and study of Scripture from Matthew 6: 25-27.  This passage ends with “Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?” These are POWERFUL statements to remember…especially when I am struggling. I have been faced with my share of challenges lately and their burdens are too great. But instead of giving them to God, I try to sort through the mess on my own. Funny how sometimes we need that smack (or several) on the forehead to remind us what is truly important.
So this Lenten season I am giving into God. I am making Him the focus of each day, each decision, and every struggle. In all honesty, I am not entirely sure what this looks like, but I know that when I GIVE IN the path will be there for me to follow. I know that I need not only read but STUDY my Bible more. To let go of the worry and the unhappiness and let God take care of His child. Isn’t that really what Easter is about? He loves us and wants us to remember the beautiful gift of His Son’s sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment