giraffe

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Necessary Evil

I HATE shopping for swimsuits. In fact, I have never enjoyed this sometimes humiliating process. Now, I know a few weeks ago I wrote about embracing my body, loving the curves, and not stressing about those 8 extra pounds. I still love me and my new shape (on a side note, I have started running again…okay once) just not in a bathing suit. There is something about squeezing into a tiny piece of lycra and parading around half naked that is so not appealing to me. I also think that paying $75 for a decent suit is ridiculous, but sadly even the “cheap” ones can cost $40 or more. With a bathing suit, you definitely get what you pay for and I will take all the coverage I can get!  There has only one time in my life that I actually found a swimsuit  I liked, fit well, and was comfortable to wear. I still have it, but it likely won’t fit until NEXT summer.
Unfortunately, swimsuit season came a little earlier than anticipated this year. A last minute weekend getaway left me in desperate need of finding something that fit and 5 days to search a handful of stores. So one blustery Saturday, I left the kids at home with my hubby and set out on my mission. Two hours, 4 stores, and about 15 swimsuits later I arrived home empty handed. On the plus side, I scored 3 pairs of cute shorts (Old Navy Bermuda length) and found some great baby sales!
So on a whim I decided to try our local JC Penney’s during my lunch hour. Don’t get me wrong...there is absolutely nothing wrong with this store. I just almost never shop here. I entered the store expecting a quick trip only to be pleasantly surprised. I found several one and two piece suits that were cute, looked like they would be a good fit, and were on sale. I took 3 sizes (I’m not exaggerating) of every suit into the fitting room and for once didn’t hate the experience.  I was really dreading the thought of purchasing a one piece bathing suit. I know I hate swimwear, but wearing a two piece was somehow much easier than wearing what I used to call a “mom” suit. I was pleasantly surprised when I found a cute a.n.a option that came in real sizes not just s-m-l. These days, I need an actual size not just something that will fit most.  It met all of my specifications, hid the areas that I consider to be unflattering, was a beautiful blue, and wasn’t boring or “momish.” I loved it so much that at that moment I would have paid full price.
So I guess the moral of this little story is to search unexpected areas and you might just end up with fabulous results. I’m still not going to go on a crazy diet or start running 10 miles at a time just to trim the tummy and to fit into my other cute swimsuit. Instead, I celebrated my find with a salad…and a milkshake! J Embrace and love yourself…that is what matters most!

No comments:

Post a Comment