giraffe

Monday, February 21, 2011

Gear and Gadgets

The baby industry is a multi-billion dollar racket! They lure you in with adorable prints and patterns and gear that you essentially cannot live without (insert sarcasm). I can walk into a baby store and instantly fall in love with 6 different carseats and start scheming reasons why we need to purchase new ones. I see baby bedding and decide it is time to redecorate. Since we travel so often, I am always on the lookout for the latest and greatest travel products. I’ve come across a few pieces that I really NEED, until my husband points out how 3 other items we already own are perfectly functional. Ladies…do not go baby shopping with your significant other. They will become easily overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff and after a few visits with be a hindrance to your shopping bliss. That is unless they like to shop as much or more than you.
While I love shopping for baby stuff, I have gotten pretty cheap about it. Most is way overpriced, only used for a small window of time, and a pain in the rear to store between babies.  I wish that I had borrowed more of these items. Although, we have gotten great use out of the items we purchased and now I am looking forward to passing it along to others!
The first few times I traveled, I was so worried that my baby would be bored without all of the items that we had at home. Truth of the matter is they will enjoy their new environment and the newness will keep them pretty entertained. However, there are a few items that I do consider to be essential when traveling.  Ideally, if you are traveling to a location that you will consistently visit several times a year (i.e. your parents, in-laws, etc.) it might be a good idea to invest (or frequently borrow) in a few key pieces that will grow with your baby. We have been very fortunate that both sets of grandparents have purchased some of these items for their own homes. It has made traveling much less stressful, and the items get plenty of use. My essential baby travel (and everyday use) items are:
1)   Pack and Play: Your baby can sleep here and it keeps them safely contained as they get a little older. If you plan on having your baby sleep in your room the first few weeks/months, this is a much more practical purchase than a bassinet. Most will come with a bassinet attachment and you have the added bonus of a changing table.  If you find yourself needing to travel with it, they are a little annoying to travel with but well worth the trouble. If you can utilize the ones at the hotel or borrow from a friend, leave the thing at home!  I used to be a snob when it came to borrowing or using ones from the hotel. My mind raced with germs from spit-up, sick babies, diaper blow-outs, you name it. Now I just throw in a small mattress pad and my own sheet. They don’t take up much room and I know they are clean!
2)   Bouncer:  When your baby is little, a bouncer is indispensible. It will help soothe, comfort, and entertain your baby. Splurge for one that has vibrations…so calming! Even after your baby has outgrown the infant needs, you can use it to feed your baby or keep them contained and entertained while you shower, get ready, etc.
3)   Booster Chair with play attachment:  Unless you really plan on utilizing a high chair when your baby is smaller, a great booster is all you need. Once they are strong enough to sit up and keep their necks steady, you will get the most use out of this. The play attachment is an added bonus because it snaps into the tray and keeps baby occupied while you enjoy a relaxing dinner (a girl can at least dream). Booster seats are also nice as they are easy to take with you to a friend’s house without lugging all sorts of other gear.  I have noticed that there now convertible high chair/booster combos that grows with your child. These look interesting and might end up being a good investment. Sadly, I won’t be purchasing any of this new gear so I have to rely on parents of all those new, cute babies!
4)   Stroller/Baby Carrier/Sling:  This one is a bit trickier. I am of firm belief that you don’t ALWAYS have to travel with a stroller. It really depends on where you are going, how you are going to get there, and what you plan to do. In most situations, I rely on my trusty Peanut Shell instead. Both of my babies LOVE being in them (I only use them once they can face out and keep their heads steady). They are versatile and can be used through toddlerhood. My husband prefers his front pack baby carrier. If you can splurge on both a sling and a front pack, I recommend it. At different stages of their lives, you might find both useful. There are a ton of different options out there so my suggestion is to WAIT until your baby arrives and is at the age that you can actually use it and experiment with what will work best for you and the baby. Trust me…MG was tiny and PD is already the size of a toddler!
5)   Activity Center/Walker:  Now this is not a make or break item, but it certainly helps. There are plenty of activity centers that will last through many developmental stages. Some have seats that later convert to a stand-alone play center.  Walkers are a controversial subject so do what you feel is best for your child. Both of my children loved using them, it is a useful alternative to an activity center for pre-walkers and are usually pretty easy to store. Like with all baby gear, use smart judgment, supervise your child, and don’t use for it for anything but it’s intended purpose.
6)  Age appropriate toys:  You will need far fewer toys than you actually think. Just take a few that will keep them entertained. You are probably going to be so busy that most of the toys are left unused.
As I look over this list, even though it is only 6 items it looks MASSIVE. This list is really ideal for traveling to homes, relatives, and if you are traveling by car and have room. If you are going to more of a destination, you will obviously not be checking your activity center on the plane. You just need to get creative. A stroller will double as high chair if needed. The carseat (I intentionally left this off the list as it is a no brainer…you HAVE to have one) can be used for several purposes. Pack light but pack the necessities. My overall advice is to borrow when you can. It is convenient, practical, and every penny counts when you add a child into the mix. I spend way more on my children than I do on myself. Keeping your baby safe is the ultimate rule of thumb. If you can splurge after that…go for it!

And one final word of advice, unless you know you are "one and done" buy gender neutral items. The little professor spent many of his early days in a pink, butterfly swing and a pink and gray pack n play with gender neutral sheets . Not a huge deal but something to think about!!

More to come on favorite baby items and a few other thoughtful topics I have been pondering...

(Note: The links in this post are for informational purposes only. Most of them are items we used but others are just pretty darn cute!)

No comments:

Post a Comment