giraffe

Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Love Affair

I am absolutely in love. This little love affair of mine might cause just a tad bit of trouble for my other half. But before you get in too much of a tizzy, let me clue you in on my little secret. I am in love with the Groupon and Living Social websites/smartphone apps. If you have never heard of these websites then I will apologize right now as you might soon become addicted to their deals. Instead of continuing to read this post, open a new browser, visit these sites, and sign-up for their daily deals. These sites will offer deeply discounted coupons to restaurants, movie theaters, various classes, trips, museums, gift cards to major online sites, at super affordable prices.

I am a girl who can't pass up a great deal, but I am also lazy.  I just don't have the time to search out the deals, clip coupons (much less remember to actually use them…I’m the mom that rips open a package of goldfish while grocery shopping to keep the kids from screaming), or search our nearby cities to find new and unique entertainment. I’ve heard stories of how some can “coupon” so well that they actually make money. If this is you and you would like to try your hand at blogging, let me know. You could be my first guest blogger. My husband would love you if I could start saving money instead of spending it!

The Groupon and Living Social sites are how I’ve added some spice to my life. Initially, I purchased deals to entertain my daughter over the weekend. My spouse has quite a few evening and weekend obligations, so I try to get creative when planning activities for the kids. After a few successful purchases, I started noticing intriguing adult activities. I thought what a great alternative to our traditional dinner date. For us it means venturing out to the nearby cities, but an hour drive is worth the time to deepen the relationship with my hubby. Plus, it gives us the opportunity to talk without interruption. This is a great luxury when you have a 3-year old! Imagine talking about politics, books, or the future instead of your child’s recent re-enactment of last night’s Fresh Beat Band episode.

Here are a few examples of some of my recent purchases: 

Coco Flow (http://cocoflow.com/) I purchased two classes for super cheap. We will learn the history of chocolate, make our own truffles, and indulge in some decadent desserts. Who doesn't love chocolate?!

Wine and Canvas ( http://www.wineandcanvas.com) I am so excited for this event! Mind you, I cannot paint or draw to save my life. Maybe I have some potential seeing as how I did have a pen and ink drawing displayed at the local library…when I was in 4th grade.  If all else fails and my artistic creation looks like a puddled mess of paint on canvas, at least I have tried something new and enjoyed a glass of wine (or 2 or 3).
I also keep my eye on deals for different cities. It helps me learn about potential vacation spots for whenever my husband and I ACTUALLY take a much needed adults only trip. For fear of losing your respect, I won’t even tell you how long that has been. I’m still trying to convince him that these deals I keep purchasing aren’t frivolous, but his sense of adventure hasn’t quite matched up with mine. In fact, a friend of mine and I bought our Wine and Canvas events together. It will be a “no boys allowed” adventure. Either way (hubby or friends), I’m adding some much needed “me time” to my life and trying out something that has the potential to become a new hobby. I hope that you will check it out for yourself and share your purchases/upcoming adventures here.

I’m going to end with a shameless self-plug. If you enjoy reading, please take a minute or two to click the FOLLOW link. In the upcoming weeks, I’ll be sponsoring a few exciting giveaways, and you will need to be a current follower for the best chances at winning. I promise it will be good!

1 comment:

  1. I am in love with Groupon and Living Social too! I am trying to keep track of all the ones I've purchased the past few months- it's getting out of control! Nashville has a newer site called Spending Spree- proceeds of each deal purchased go to a different charity every day. I wonder if they have Spending Spree in Stillwater!?

    ReplyDelete